Posts Tagged ‘TRANSFERS’

JULY 23 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 23, 2010

JULY 23 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

O’NIELL: MILNER MAY MOVE IF MAN CITY HAVE MONEY

James Milner’s potential transfer to Manchester City had a moment of clarity today.

After days of rumored fallout’s and accusations, Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill made it plain that the England International may leave the club, as long as Manchester City pay the asking price, rumored to be in the $46 million range.

O’Niell won’t stand in the way of the 24-year-old midfielder desire to join City, but has made it clear that Milner has asked to leave the club.

“James and his agent came to see us before the World Cup and intimated that they would like to go.” O’Neill told Villa’s official website.  “Manchester City made an offer, which we told them (Milner and his Agent).

“There is a difference of valuation at this moment between the buying club and the selling club. That may well be resolved and if that is the case then absolutely fine.

“I think James’ agent has told our chief executive that he wouldn’t be signing a new contract. Obviously that puts a different slant on things, like everything else. If a fee is agreed, at the end of the day, the player can leave.”

City are preparing another offer of $38 million in hopes of resolving the matter, but whay Villa will do with the bid is unknown.

MARTIN JOL TO STAY AT AJAX-FULHAM LEFT SCRAMBLING

Martin Jol was apparently unaware that there was no exit clause in his contract at Ajax, according to the Fulham website.

(more…)

JULY 22 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 22, 2010

JULY 22 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

SHAKHTAR SIGN EDUARDO FROM ARSENAL

Shakhtar Donetsk have signed striker Eduardo from Arsenal.

The Croatia international, who suffered a career-threatening broken leg in 2008 and never found his way back to a regular position at Arsenal, signed for the Ukraine Champions for $9 million.

“FC Shakhtar have signed a Brazilian-born Croatian forward Eduardo Da Silva from Arsenal London on a 4-year contract being anticipated by all the international media.” The club website said. “Within the nearest time the newcomer will be introduced to Ukrainian media representatives as well as to the Pitmen fans.”

The 27-year-old leaves the Gunners having scored 20 goals in 67 appearances for the Gunners.

“We wanted to buy Eduardo before he moved to Arsenal.” Shakhtar boss Mircea Lucescu said. “Not everything went his way last season, but he is still a player of very high quality, a real marksman. Yes, he had a serious injury, we are aware of the risk, but at the same time we realize he can give a lot to Shakhtar. We expect a lot from Eduardo.”

LIVERPOOL SIGN DANNY WILSON

Scotland U19 international Danny Wilson has signed for Liverpool after passing a medical.

The 18-year-old defender comes to Anfield from Scottish Premier League Champions Rangers on a three-year deal worth as much as $7.5 million depending on results.

(more…)

US-MEXICO PLAYER TRANSFER NEWS

July 18, 2010

US, MEXICO PLAYER TRANSFER NEWS

US PLAYER REPORT

  • Everton captain Phil Neville told reporters this weekend that he knows L.A. star Landon Donovan wants to return to Everton.
  • US Team captain Carlos Bocanegra moved was sold from Rennes of Ligue 1 fellow French side Saint-Etienne.
  • According to the BBC, former Chicago Fire head coach Bob Bradley will sign an extension to stay on as head coach of the US national team.
  • Jozy Altidore is in high demand.  The latest clubs showing interest in legendary Dutch side Ajax and Turkish side Besiktas. Altidore’s current club Villareal has said they are entertaining offers for the 20-year-old American striker. Since then a myriad of European clubs from shown an interest. From Serie A sides Napoli and Palermo to Glasgow Celtic of the Scottish Premier League.
  • The sale of Michael Bradley from Bundesliga side Borussia Moenchengladbach to Everton has gained steam, according to the Express. Newly promoted Premier League side Blackpool is also rumored to be interested.
  • AC Milan defender Oguchi Onyewu has been targeted as Celtic’s back-up plan if the Glasgow super club can’t sign former England international Sol Campbell. Gooch has resisted all offers to be moved from the San Siro, longing for an opportunity to play in Serie A. He is even playing for free this season as a sign he wants to prove himself at Europe’s highest level. “He is adamant about staying at AC Milan,” Onyewu’s agent, Lyle Yorks, told the MLS website. “I’m really not even listening when something comes in anymore.” That doesn’t seem to stop the rumors surrounding the 28-year-old defender.
  • US midfielder Jermaine White may be pricing himself out of the reach of many clubs that could and would use him. After a trial with the Chicago Fire, Chicago (more…)

DESIGNATED PLAYER UPDATE: LJUNGBERG DRAMA

July 18, 2010

DESIGNATED PLAYER UPDATE: LJUNGBERG DRAMA

If, early in this 2010 Major League Soccer campaign, I told you a Seattle Sounders standout was discontented and looking to be transfered, you would have assumed I meant Fredy Montero.  The Colombian 23-year-old was visibly not interested on the field, while off the field rumors were circulate about a move to European club.

Now, approaching the midway point in the season, the Sounder most likely to want out of Seattle is designated player Freddie Ljungberg. The rumors are raging that Ljungberg is back in Sweden, and there is growing concern that he is not returning.

A move back to a European club is possible, as is a potential move to New York. If the Red Bulls are unsuccessful in landing Barcelona’s Mexican international midfielder Rafael Marquez, they may look to grab Freddie as quickly as they can.  New York boss Hans Backe is a big fan of Ljungberg and has made no secret of the fact.

Where the 33-year-old will end up is only half speculation.  What is more intriguing is how we got to this point.

Ljungberg practiced with the team last week, but didn’t play against FC Dallas, and didn’t make the trip to DC for Thursday Night’s showdown with United. In reality, (more…)

JULY 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 16, 2010

JULY 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

MANCINI: MAN CITY MUST SPEND TO WIN

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is not ashamed of his clubs spending spree, quite the contrary, the Italian believes the only way to win trophies is to spend big.

City has already spent $91 million this summer on David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng but clearly there is room for more changes at Eastlands as Mancini is still on the prowl for at least a striker and a defender to firm up the side.

Mancini admits that spending money on big-name players is the difference between most football clubs and Europe’s elite teams.

“Of course we have spent a lot of money this summer,” Mancini told The Mirror. “Everyone can see that is the case, but all the teams who have won the Premier League, or La Liga or Serie A in recent years have spent a lot of money. This is not a new thing.”

The City boss is quick to deny that spending money on new players means ignoring the Academy players trying to crack the first team.

“It is hard to win trophies if you do not invest in areas where you can improve. We are absolutely committed to the Academy and to developing our own talent. It is important that they know there is a path to the first team for them. We are working hard towards the kick-off on August 14 and everyone here has the chance to be in the squad that day.”

New City owner Sheikh Mansour has spent over $400 million in less than two years to put the Blue side of Manchester on par with the biggest clubs in Europe.

UNITED TO LOCK UP ROONEY FOR FIVE YEARS?

Wayne Rooney looks set to become the highest paid player in Manchester United history, according to the Mirror.

(more…)

OVER THERE… UPDATES ON NORTH AMERICAN PLAYERS IN EUROPE

July 8, 2010

OVER THERE… UPDATES ON NORTH AMERICAN PLAYERS IN EUROPE

BOB BRADLEY LINKED WITH VACANT FULHAM POST

US national Team Manager Bob Bradley is on a short list of candidates to take over the Fulham manager position vacated by recently named Liverpool manager, Roy Hodgson.

Bradley, who is in discussions with US Soccer regarding his future, is in contention with Swede Sven Goran Eriksson and Croatian Slaven Bilic.

Glenn Hoddle, Mark Hughes, Tony Mowbray, Alan Curbishley and Gianfranco Zola, according to reports out of England, have all been eliminated from contention.

For his part Bradley is focused on his post-World Cup discussions with US Soccer.

“I think we’re in the midst of all of that,” Bradley told the Washington Post about the discussions. “Whenever there has been a four-year effort on both sides there is a little time that’s needed to look at things, to talk to some different people, to assess options and I’ve had some different conversations, one with Sunil Gulati and one with [U.S. soccer secretary general] Dan Flynn, so I think we’re moving through that period and we’ll see where it gets everybody.”

GOOCH WON’T BE MOVED FROM MILAN

US International Oguchi Onyewu is staying at AC Milan, no matter what.

(more…)

JULY 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 8, 2010

JULY 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

OZIL NOT GOING ANYWHERE, SAYS BREMAN

Interest in Werder Breman’s midfield maestro Mesut Ozil is at a fever-pitch across Europe. A situation that can only get more sensational with Bremen general manager Klaus Allofs claiming that no one in the World Cup has performed better than the German International, but Allofs was not putting his prize talent, who has a year left on his contract at Breman, in the shop window.

“Transfer income is one of our main income sources,” Allofs told German paper Bild. “But we also have to think about our sporting goals. We have the Champions League preliminaries coming up and we need a good team to be successful in Europe,”

“Mesut’s current contract runs until 2011 and we’re keen to extend his stay at the club. However, we’re not planning to cash in on him if he refuses to ink a new deal. We could decide to keep him until his contract expires.

“We’d rather not see him leave on a free transfer next year, but it’s definitely an option. Mesut is going nowhere for now.”

That is not stopping the giants of European football from making the attempt to snatch the 21-year-old. Ozil is being saught by Inter (more…)

TUESDAY’S SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEW, NOTES AND RUMORS

June 29, 2010

Something to Cheer About at Eastlands

TUESDAY’S SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEW, NOTES AND RUMORS

MANCHESTER CITY SPENDING SPREE LOOMING

It is getting increasingly difficult for Manchester City fans to get a handle on all the signings that MAY take place at Eastlands, as there are so many and some contradict each other.

The most recent is the long rumored signing of Yaya Toure as part of a $100 million spending spree that also includes David Silva and Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko.

Toure’s move to City, which will put him on the same club as his brother Kolo, was all but confirmed by the Barcelona website.

“In the case of Toure,” the statement read “[Barcelona director-general Joan] Oliver has recognized an understanding between the club interested in the midfielder, Manchester City, and Barca, but the transfer cannot be made official yet.”

Silva is reported to be joining Toure in the midfield on the blue side of Manchester this season. The Spanish international, currently (more…)

JUNE 24 – SHORT CORNERS-WORLD SOCCER NEWS AND NOTES

June 24, 2010

JUNE 24 – SHORT CORNERS-WORLD SOCCER NEWS AND NOTES

FRENCH PRESIDENT TO INVESTIGATE L’IMPLOSION
French president Nicolas Sarkozy is to hold a government meeting on Wednesday to get to the bottom of the implosion of the national team and their disgrace at the World Cup.

“The President wants any decisions to be taken calmly and without haste,” a government spokesman told the press. “Knowing the interest he has in football, you can imagine that he isn’t indifferent to what happened.”

Sarkozy is scheduled to hear striker Thierry Henry’s side on Thursday, as the government investigation begins.

Prime Minister Francois Fillon, sports minister Roselyne Bachelot and junior sports minister Rama Yade will join the president to discuss the events that took place in South Africa.

“Those responsible for this disaster must accept the consequences, first the players, then the team management and after them the football federation,” Bachelot told Europe 1 radio on Wednesday.

(more…)