Posts Tagged ‘SWITZERLAND’

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

July 15, 2010

LUKAS PODOLSKI HAS PROVEN HE HAS THE STONES

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA’S AFRICAN PAIR READY FOR PREMIER LEAGUE RETURN

Chelsea’s African duo Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel are set to return to Stamford Bridge after long injuries that kept both out of the World Cup.

Nigeria’s Mikel and Ghana’s Essien both had time during the World Cup to return to fitness and now look set to join the club for Chelsea’s opening Premier League fixture August 14.

“There should be no problem whatsoever,” Chelsea assistant Ray Wilkins told soccernet. “Mikel is slightly in advance of Michael Essien but they are both working very well indeed.

“They have been working double sessions for the last week and we will get them really firing before the season starts.”

AC MILAN IN FOR PODOLSKI, BUT ONLY IF…

AC Milan will splash to cash to but German striker Lukas Podolski, but only if they can first find a buyer for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, preferably to a Premier League club.

The 1 FC Koln striker has come back into vogue after a successful run in the World Cup, and Milan have sized up the 25-year-old who is a more versatile player than Huntelaar, being able to play as a more conventional forward. Nothing however will move the Rossoneri to approach unless they have cah in hand for Huntelaar.

“Podolski will arrive only if one condition is met and that is the transfer of Huntelaar to the (English) Premier League, which would then open a few paths from a financial standpoint.” Milan Vice-president Adriano Galliani told Sky Sport 24.

BAYERN LOOKING FOR VAN DER WIEL

Bayern Munich have approached Dutch side Ajax regarding Gregory van der Wiel.

(more…)

MLS NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS and WEEK 13 PREVIEW

June 25, 2010

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER RETURNS TO ACTION – MLS WEEK 13 PREVIEW

Most everyone’s eyes will be on the World Cup this weekend, and rightly so, the sheer weight of match-ups over the next four days is incredible.

Having said that, lets take a look at what we have in store for ourselves this weekend and touch on some of the stories we may have missed while over-indulging in the World Cup Garden of Eden.

PPL PARK OPENS IN PHILADELPHIA THIS SUNDAY
The Philadelphia Union fans will agree with Tom Petty, the waiting is the hardest part, but now the wait is over as Peter Nowak’s boys will christen their new home, PPL Park on Sunday against Seattle Sounders at 5pm ET. The match will be shown on ESPN2 and will see Union attempt to turn around a less than stellar Expansion campaign. Union are dead last in the East having garnered 7 points from 10 matches. Philly fans will be hoping that the League’s newest Soccer Specific gem will provide the inspiration for some points down the stretch.

SACHA KLJESTAN MOVES TO EUROPE
Belgian Champions Anderlicht acquired Chivas USA captain Sacha Kljestan during the World Cup break leaving the Goats, who are in the midst of a five game losing streak, missing some key talent.  Manager Martin Vasquez has brought for Chivas USA midfield standout Paulo Nagamura back into the side with an aim to fill the missing Kljestan’s shoes. Another help for Chivas might come in the form of Venezuelan international
Giancarlo Maldonado who is training with the team.

BLAISE NKUFO IS COMING TO SEATTLE
This deal was done early in the season, but since then we have all had a chance to see Nkufo play for Switzerland in (more…)

JULY 25 – SHORT CORNERS, World Soccer News, Notes and Rumors

June 25, 2010

JULY 25 – SHORT CORNERS

World Soccer News, Notes and Rumors

MEXICAN PLAYERS ON THE MOVE TO EUROPE?
Mexican winger Pablo Barrera is on the wish list of both Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.

The attention by the Premier League clubs is so great that a deal with Serie A side Lazio was rejected by the 23-year-old, in order to learn more about the interest of the English sides.

The Roman club attempted to sign Barrera on a one-year loan from Mexican club UNAM Pumas with the option of making the deal permanent for a bargain $4.48 million.

Tottenham like Barrera’s versatility, as the player who can be used on either flank as well as up top.

Manchester United are also said to have been intrigued by Barrera’s performances in the Mexican League having scored 12 goals in 28 league games over the last year, as well as his super-sub role at the World Cup for Mexico.

“I hope I can go abroad to play in a traditional club in Europe, but first I want to do well in the World Cup,” he told Super Deporte.

“I like football in Spain … the Italian, English, I like various styles of the game. I aspire to that, I want to be in a good team, that’s all I want.”

(more…)

JUNE 11 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 11, 2010

JUNE 11 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

‘NO NERVES’ FOR SOUTH AFRICA

South Africa captain Aaron Mokoena said his team would have no nerves when they walk out in front of an expectant 85,000-strong home crowd at the Soccer City stadium for their World Cup opener against Mexico on Friday, in one of the biggest matches in the nations history.

“We are looking forward to the game,” said Mokoena. “It’s going to be important that we go out relaxed, but of course not too relaxed, and enjoy it.”

Mokoena, who recently became the first South African to earn 100 caps, thinks the team will live in the moment and not feel the pressure of expectation.

“It’s about us, it’s about what we want and about making our country proud. The moment of truth has arrived.”

DROGBA RETURNS TO PRACTICE

Didier Drogba has returned to training just days after surgery on a broken arm and (more…)

2010 WORLD CUP : INJURY UPDATE

June 10, 2010

2010 WORLD CUP : INJURY UPDATE

Spanish midfielder Andres Iniesta is a doubt for Spain’s opener next Wednesday against Switzerland after a scan on his right thigh

Honduras coach Reinaldo Rueda is holding out until the day before his team’s World Cup opener against Chile next Wednesday before deciding whether David Suazo and Wilson Palacios will play due to minor muscle injuries.

United States striker Jozy Altidore (ankle) will be fit to face England in Saturday’s Group C opener in Rustenburg

Australia midfielder Tim Cahill’s neck strain will not prevent him from starting on Sunday against Germany in Group D

Brazil Manager Dunga is confident goalkeeper Julio Cesar will have recovered from the lumbar strain during last Wednesday’s warm-up triumph over Zimbabwe, and be fit in time for the 5-time champions World Cup opener with North Korea

New Zealand captain Ryan Neilsen sat out the warm-up against Chile yesterday with an ear infection but was expected to be ready for their first Group F game against Slovakia on Tuesday

Swiss captain Alexander Frei sprained his ankle in the team’s final training session in Zurich yesterday and is status is still in doubt ahead of next weeks Group H opener against tournament favorites Spain.

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)