Posts Tagged ‘PREMIER LEAGUE MANAGERS’

JULY 23 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 23, 2010

JULY 23 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

O’NIELL: MILNER MAY MOVE IF MAN CITY HAVE MONEY

James Milner’s potential transfer to Manchester City had a moment of clarity today.

After days of rumored fallout’s and accusations, Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill made it plain that the England International may leave the club, as long as Manchester City pay the asking price, rumored to be in the $46 million range.

O’Niell won’t stand in the way of the 24-year-old midfielder desire to join City, but has made it clear that Milner has asked to leave the club.

“James and his agent came to see us before the World Cup and intimated that they would like to go.” O’Neill told Villa’s official website.  “Manchester City made an offer, which we told them (Milner and his Agent).

“There is a difference of valuation at this moment between the buying club and the selling club. That may well be resolved and if that is the case then absolutely fine.

“I think James’ agent has told our chief executive that he wouldn’t be signing a new contract. Obviously that puts a different slant on things, like everything else. If a fee is agreed, at the end of the day, the player can leave.”

City are preparing another offer of $38 million in hopes of resolving the matter, but whay Villa will do with the bid is unknown.

MARTIN JOL TO STAY AT AJAX-FULHAM LEFT SCRAMBLING

Martin Jol was apparently unaware that there was no exit clause in his contract at Ajax, according to the Fulham website.

(more…)

YANKEES IN BID TO BUY TOTTENHAM

July 19, 2010

YANKEE’S TO BUY SPURS?

The New York Yankees of Major League Baseball have made a bid to purchase London based Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur for $687 million.

One of the most successful sports franchises in history, in terms of on field success, overall team value and profitability, the Bronx Bombers also posses the most globally recognizable logo and branding.

The news, coming just days after the death of long time Yankee owner George Steinbrenner, the move is being made by sons Hank and Hal who have operated the 27-time World Series Champions for the past few years.

Hank, in response to a recent question regarding the Steinbrenner’s possibly purchasing a sports franchise in a different sport, told reporters “The only thing would be a major soccer team in ­Europe, preferably in the Premier League. That’s always a possibility for me.”

Interestingly, the news falls at a time when Tottenham are to play two matches in New York City area.

Spurs will take part in the Barclays New York Challenge, beginning on Thursday.

American owners of Premier League teams have had mixed results. Andy Lerner , who owns the Cleveland Browns of the NFL also owns Aston Villa and Ellis Short who owns Sunderland have had no problems from fans, players or fellow ownership groups. The jury may be still out on Stan Kroenke who has slowly increased in stake in Spurs North London rivals Arsenal to 29.9 per cent.

On the other side of the coin is the Glazer family, who own the NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Manchester United have struggled. There are regular, vocal open protests by United supporters who want the Glazer’s out.  There were even “Love United, Hate Glazer” signs at United’s preseason tour match in Toronto last week.

George Gillet and Tom Hicks, who own Liverpool FC have never been embraced by the Anfield supporters.

Strangely enough, current Spurs boss Harry Redknapp told reporters last season that he was against foreign ownership.

“With more ­foreign owners you get fewer British managers.” Redknapp said “Every club will have a foreign owner eventually and the lifespan of managers will get less and less.”

The Steinbrenner investment would certainly boost the influx of potential transfer money at White Hart Lane, and that just might sway the opinion of Redknapp who just an extension with the club.

US-MEXICO PLAYER TRANSFER NEWS

July 18, 2010

US, MEXICO PLAYER TRANSFER NEWS

US PLAYER REPORT

  • Everton captain Phil Neville told reporters this weekend that he knows L.A. star Landon Donovan wants to return to Everton.
  • US Team captain Carlos Bocanegra moved was sold from Rennes of Ligue 1 fellow French side Saint-Etienne.
  • According to the BBC, former Chicago Fire head coach Bob Bradley will sign an extension to stay on as head coach of the US national team.
  • Jozy Altidore is in high demand.  The latest clubs showing interest in legendary Dutch side Ajax and Turkish side Besiktas. Altidore’s current club Villareal has said they are entertaining offers for the 20-year-old American striker. Since then a myriad of European clubs from shown an interest. From Serie A sides Napoli and Palermo to Glasgow Celtic of the Scottish Premier League.
  • The sale of Michael Bradley from Bundesliga side Borussia Moenchengladbach to Everton has gained steam, according to the Express. Newly promoted Premier League side Blackpool is also rumored to be interested.
  • AC Milan defender Oguchi Onyewu has been targeted as Celtic’s back-up plan if the Glasgow super club can’t sign former England international Sol Campbell. Gooch has resisted all offers to be moved from the San Siro, longing for an opportunity to play in Serie A. He is even playing for free this season as a sign he wants to prove himself at Europe’s highest level. “He is adamant about staying at AC Milan,” Onyewu’s agent, Lyle Yorks, told the MLS website. “I’m really not even listening when something comes in anymore.” That doesn’t seem to stop the rumors surrounding the 28-year-old defender.
  • US midfielder Jermaine White may be pricing himself out of the reach of many clubs that could and would use him. After a trial with the Chicago Fire, Chicago (more…)

JULY 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 16, 2010

JULY 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

MANCINI: MAN CITY MUST SPEND TO WIN

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is not ashamed of his clubs spending spree, quite the contrary, the Italian believes the only way to win trophies is to spend big.

City has already spent $91 million this summer on David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng but clearly there is room for more changes at Eastlands as Mancini is still on the prowl for at least a striker and a defender to firm up the side.

Mancini admits that spending money on big-name players is the difference between most football clubs and Europe’s elite teams.

“Of course we have spent a lot of money this summer,” Mancini told The Mirror. “Everyone can see that is the case, but all the teams who have won the Premier League, or La Liga or Serie A in recent years have spent a lot of money. This is not a new thing.”

The City boss is quick to deny that spending money on new players means ignoring the Academy players trying to crack the first team.

“It is hard to win trophies if you do not invest in areas where you can improve. We are absolutely committed to the Academy and to developing our own talent. It is important that they know there is a path to the first team for them. We are working hard towards the kick-off on August 14 and everyone here has the chance to be in the squad that day.”

New City owner Sheikh Mansour has spent over $400 million in less than two years to put the Blue side of Manchester on par with the biggest clubs in Europe.

UNITED TO LOCK UP ROONEY FOR FIVE YEARS?

Wayne Rooney looks set to become the highest paid player in Manchester United history, according to the Mirror.

(more…)

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

July 15, 2010

LUKAS PODOLSKI HAS PROVEN HE HAS THE STONES

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA’S AFRICAN PAIR READY FOR PREMIER LEAGUE RETURN

Chelsea’s African duo Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel are set to return to Stamford Bridge after long injuries that kept both out of the World Cup.

Nigeria’s Mikel and Ghana’s Essien both had time during the World Cup to return to fitness and now look set to join the club for Chelsea’s opening Premier League fixture August 14.

“There should be no problem whatsoever,” Chelsea assistant Ray Wilkins told soccernet. “Mikel is slightly in advance of Michael Essien but they are both working very well indeed.

“They have been working double sessions for the last week and we will get them really firing before the season starts.”

AC MILAN IN FOR PODOLSKI, BUT ONLY IF…

AC Milan will splash to cash to but German striker Lukas Podolski, but only if they can first find a buyer for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, preferably to a Premier League club.

The 1 FC Koln striker has come back into vogue after a successful run in the World Cup, and Milan have sized up the 25-year-old who is a more versatile player than Huntelaar, being able to play as a more conventional forward. Nothing however will move the Rossoneri to approach unless they have cah in hand for Huntelaar.

“Podolski will arrive only if one condition is met and that is the transfer of Huntelaar to the (English) Premier League, which would then open a few paths from a financial standpoint.” Milan Vice-president Adriano Galliani told Sky Sport 24.

BAYERN LOOKING FOR VAN DER WIEL

Bayern Munich have approached Dutch side Ajax regarding Gregory van der Wiel.

(more…)

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 14, 2010

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

RED BULLS FINALLY LAND THIERRY HENRY

The New York Red Bulls have made the worst kept secret in soccer a reality today by announcing the signing of France international Thierry Henry as a designated player.

Without question, Henry becomes the most decorated player to ever take the field in the 14 year history of Major League Soccer. Capped 123 times for France, Henry has a resume that includes World Cup, European Championship and Champions League titles, in addition to a number of domestic championships and scoring titles.

The highest profile signing for the league since David Beckham’s arrival, the former Arsenal striker will hope to revitalize a Red Bull attack that includes co-designated player Colombian Juan Pablo Angel.

The 32-year-old Henry will likely play his first match July 22nd against Tottenham Hotspur in the New York Football Challenge.

The announcement was made Thursday as the day marks the opening of the Major League Soccer transfer window, and Henry is expected to be the first of many designated players brought into the league under the new policies that allow for as many as three designated players per team.

Other signings ready to sign officially on Thursday include Spanish forward Mista who has signed with Toronto FC, Swiss international Blaise Nkufo who has signed to Seattle Sounders from Dutch Champions FC Twente, Branko Boskovich will join DC United and Venezuela’s all-time leading scorer Giancarlo Maldonado has signed with Chivas USA on a loan from Mexican side Atlante..

REDKNAPP EXTENDS SPURS STAY

Tottenham Hotspur have locked up manager Harry Redknapp through 2013.

The 63-year-old manager guided the White Hart Lane club to it’s first Champions League berth last season, and has been rewarded with a three year extension.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reacted to big money offers from .

(more…)

MONDAY SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

June 28, 2010

MONDAY SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

FABIANO LOOKS TO MAN U AND MILAN

Luis Fabiano has already netted twice for Brazil in the 2010 World Cup, but the Seville striker has made it known he is looking to leave Sevilla for a big club with a chance at some silverware, and he wants it all to happen rather quickly.

“As soon as the World Cup is over I will make a quick decision on my future – and while it is going on I hope Sevilla can open discussions.” Fabiano told the Daily Star Sunday. “I have enjoyed my time here but I now need to be at a giant.”

“I have a real chance of winning a World Cup here in South Africa, and that is what I must stay focused on even though I know my future has to be sorted soon. I have made it clear that I will not be signing a new contract with Sevilla and at 29 I now need to join a club where I can start challenging for the highest honors from the first season.

“The choice will come down to Manchester United and AC Milan. That is the sort of team I want to be signing for, one of the true giants of Europe. I think the way Manchester United play football is very attractive, I must be honest and say Premier League football attracts me and also the way Manchester United play football attracts me.”

“You think about being Wayne Rooney’s strike partner and that is very attractive for any striker. I think the style of Premier League football suits me and I think I could score goals and be very successful there. Their coach is a winner, their players are winners and they are one of the few teams in Europe challenging for the top honors season after season.”

The Brazilian also made clear the type of club he won’t be playing for.

“I have heard Tottenham Hotspur made an inquiry about me but, with all respect, that is not somewhere I am going to be able to win the Premier League (more…)

JULY 25 – SHORT CORNERS, World Soccer News, Notes and Rumors

June 25, 2010

JULY 25 – SHORT CORNERS

World Soccer News, Notes and Rumors

MEXICAN PLAYERS ON THE MOVE TO EUROPE?
Mexican winger Pablo Barrera is on the wish list of both Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.

The attention by the Premier League clubs is so great that a deal with Serie A side Lazio was rejected by the 23-year-old, in order to learn more about the interest of the English sides.

The Roman club attempted to sign Barrera on a one-year loan from Mexican club UNAM Pumas with the option of making the deal permanent for a bargain $4.48 million.

Tottenham like Barrera’s versatility, as the player who can be used on either flank as well as up top.

Manchester United are also said to have been intrigued by Barrera’s performances in the Mexican League having scored 12 goals in 28 league games over the last year, as well as his super-sub role at the World Cup for Mexico.

“I hope I can go abroad to play in a traditional club in Europe, but first I want to do well in the World Cup,” he told Super Deporte.

“I like football in Spain … the Italian, English, I like various styles of the game. I aspire to that, I want to be in a good team, that’s all I want.”

(more…)

JUNE 24 – SHORT CORNERS-WORLD SOCCER NEWS AND NOTES

June 24, 2010

JUNE 24 – SHORT CORNERS-WORLD SOCCER NEWS AND NOTES

FRENCH PRESIDENT TO INVESTIGATE L’IMPLOSION
French president Nicolas Sarkozy is to hold a government meeting on Wednesday to get to the bottom of the implosion of the national team and their disgrace at the World Cup.

“The President wants any decisions to be taken calmly and without haste,” a government spokesman told the press. “Knowing the interest he has in football, you can imagine that he isn’t indifferent to what happened.”

Sarkozy is scheduled to hear striker Thierry Henry’s side on Thursday, as the government investigation begins.

Prime Minister Francois Fillon, sports minister Roselyne Bachelot and junior sports minister Rama Yade will join the president to discuss the events that took place in South Africa.

“Those responsible for this disaster must accept the consequences, first the players, then the team management and after them the football federation,” Bachelot told Europe 1 radio on Wednesday.

(more…)

JUNE 18 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 18, 2010

JUNE 18 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

PREMIER LEAGUE FIXTURES ANNOUNCED

The 2010-11 Premier League fixture list has been released and the opening weekend features some very intriguing big-club battles.

Newcastle United will have a harsh welcome back to the Premier League when the travel to Old Trafford to battle Manchester United.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton was hoping for a little easier of a start.

“It’s a tough start for us, we would have preferred a home game to kick the season off but you take what you get.” He told Soccernet. “We can take heart and confidence from the 1-1 draw we earned at Old Trafford two years ago on the opening day of the 2008-09 season. Villa at home the following (more…)

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 14 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 14, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 14 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

AL FAYED CONFIDENT HODGSON WILL STAY AT FULHAM

Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed is sure Roy Hodgson will decide to remain at Craven Cottage if Liverpool is indeed targeting the 62-year-old manager as Rafa Benitez’s successor at Anfield.

Hodgson is the odds on favorite to replace Benitez having enjoyed a tremendous season by steering Fulham to the Europa League final, last month.

Hodgson has enjoyed a successful run at Fulham since taking the reigns at Craven Cottage in January 2007, and has the unwavering support of his chairman.

(more…)

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 3, 2010

Rafa Benitez practices his Italian

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

LIVERPOOL SACK RAFA BENITEZ

Liverpool have bought out the remainder of their contract with manager Rafael Benitez, essentially sacking the man who had managed the club since 2004, according to multiple sources.

Benitez’s stock had plummeted dramatically in recent years and rumors circulated wildly on Merseyside that Rafa was on his way out, but when he recently turned down the Juventus opening, it seemed like he would be back managing the team he made Champions League Winners for another season.

The original 5-year contract, signed just 12 months ago, stipulated that Benitez would be due $23.5 million if his contract was terminated, but the Anfield club worked with their manager of the past six years for a mutually agreeable compensation. A move which might imply that Benitez already has a job lined up.

The most likely scenario involves the position at Inter Milan, which was recently vacated by Jose Mourinho when he left the San (more…)

LIVERPOOL SACK RAFA BENITEZ

June 2, 2010

"... Milan is this way, is it?"

LIVERPOOL SACK RAFA BENITEZ

Liverpool have bought out the remainder of their contract with manager Rafael Benitez, essentially sacking the man who had managed the club since 2004, according to multiple sources.

Benitez’s stock had plummeted dramatically in recent years and rumors circulated wildly on Merseyside that Rafa was on his way out, but when he recently turned down the Juventus opening, it seemed like he would be back managing the team he made Champions League Winners for another season.

The original 5-year contract, signed just 12 months ago, stipulated that Benitez would be due $23.5 million if his contract was terminated, but the Anfield club worked with their manager of the past six years for a mutually agreeable compensation. A move which might imply that Benitez already has a job lined up.

The most likely scenario involves the position at Inter Milan, which was recently vacated by Jose Mourinho when he left the San Siro to take over as Real Madrid manager.

Benitez was bought out to the tune of $4.3 million, freeing the Spanish manager to take over at Inter Milan.