Posts Tagged ‘PORTUGAL’

CELTIC-SPORTING: ROSTERS FOR FENWAY FOOTBALL CHALLENGE

July 21, 2010

ROSTERS FOR FENWAY FOOTBALL CHALLENGE

Football at Fenway Park will kick off again Wednesday Night at 8pm ET Glasgow Celtic take on Sporting CP at the famous Boston ball park.

The match will be show on Live on Fox Soccer Channel.

SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL:

All players are Portugese unless otherwise noted.

Goalkeepers: Rui Patricio, Tiago Ferreira, Vitor Golas (BRA)

Defenders: Marco Torsiglieri (ARG), Daniel Carrico, Anderson Polga (BRA), Evaldo Fabiano, Leandro Grimi (ARG), Nuno Coelho, Joao Pereira, Abel Ferreira

Midfielders: Pedro Mendes, Marat Izamilov (RUS) , Maniche, Matías Fernández (CHL), Jaime Valdes (CHL), Miguel Veloso, Ander Santos, Simon Vukcevic (MNG)

Forwards: Carlos Saleiro, Florent Sinama-Pongolle (FRA), Yannick Djalo, Helder Postiga, Andre Martins, Liedson, Diogo Salomao, William Owusu Acheampong (GHA)

MANAGER: Costinha

CELTIC ROSTER:

Goalkeepers: Dominic Cervi (USA), Lukasz Zaluska (POL)

Defenders: Andreas Hinkel (GER), Glenn Loovens (NET), Jos Hooiveld (HOL), Darren O’Dea (IRE), Mark Wilson (SCO), Paul Caddis (SCO), Milan Misun (CZE), Charles Mulgrew (SCO), Cha Du Ri (KOR), Thomas Rogne (NOR)

Midfielders: Scott Brown (SCO), Joseph Ledley (SCO), Shaun Maloney (SCO), Patrick McCourt (IRE), Marc Crosas (ESP), Aiden McGeady (IRE), Simon Ferry (SCO), James Forrest (SCO), Ki Sung Yueng (KOR)

Forwards: Marc Fortune (GUI), Georgios Samaras (GRE), Morten Rasmussen (DEN), Benjamin Hutchison (ENG), Paul McGowan (SCO)

MANAGER: Neil Lennon

US-MEXICO PLAYER TRANSFER NEWS

July 18, 2010

US, MEXICO PLAYER TRANSFER NEWS

US PLAYER REPORT

  • Everton captain Phil Neville told reporters this weekend that he knows L.A. star Landon Donovan wants to return to Everton.
  • US Team captain Carlos Bocanegra moved was sold from Rennes of Ligue 1 fellow French side Saint-Etienne.
  • According to the BBC, former Chicago Fire head coach Bob Bradley will sign an extension to stay on as head coach of the US national team.
  • Jozy Altidore is in high demand.  The latest clubs showing interest in legendary Dutch side Ajax and Turkish side Besiktas. Altidore’s current club Villareal has said they are entertaining offers for the 20-year-old American striker. Since then a myriad of European clubs from shown an interest. From Serie A sides Napoli and Palermo to Glasgow Celtic of the Scottish Premier League.
  • The sale of Michael Bradley from Bundesliga side Borussia Moenchengladbach to Everton has gained steam, according to the Express. Newly promoted Premier League side Blackpool is also rumored to be interested.
  • AC Milan defender Oguchi Onyewu has been targeted as Celtic’s back-up plan if the Glasgow super club can’t sign former England international Sol Campbell. Gooch has resisted all offers to be moved from the San Siro, longing for an opportunity to play in Serie A. He is even playing for free this season as a sign he wants to prove himself at Europe’s highest level. “He is adamant about staying at AC Milan,” Onyewu’s agent, Lyle Yorks, told the MLS website. “I’m really not even listening when something comes in anymore.” That doesn’t seem to stop the rumors surrounding the 28-year-old defender.
  • US midfielder Jermaine White may be pricing himself out of the reach of many clubs that could and would use him. After a trial with the Chicago Fire, Chicago (more…)

JULY 12 – DESIGNATED PLAYER WATCH

July 12, 2010

JULY 12 – DESIGNATED PLAYER WATCH

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER TRANSFER WINDOW OPENS ON THURSDAY

The MLS transfer window opens this Thursday July 15, and in addition to a certain high profile signing being announced in New York, Seattle’s Blaise Nkufo, DC United’s Branko Boskovic, Chivas USA’s Giancarlo Maldonado and Toronto FC’s Mista will also become official members of their respective teams.

Here is the lowdown on who is coming, who is rumored to follow and (tear) who is just not an option.

RED BULLS SET TO NAME THIERRY HENRY ON THURSDAY

The New York Red Bulls have lined up a press conference to announce their second designated player on Thursday.

Though no names have been mentioned the signing will come as a surprise to no one and is widely considered the worst kept secret in the game.

(more…)

JULY 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 8, 2010

JULY 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

OZIL NOT GOING ANYWHERE, SAYS BREMAN

Interest in Werder Breman’s midfield maestro Mesut Ozil is at a fever-pitch across Europe. A situation that can only get more sensational with Bremen general manager Klaus Allofs claiming that no one in the World Cup has performed better than the German International, but Allofs was not putting his prize talent, who has a year left on his contract at Breman, in the shop window.

“Transfer income is one of our main income sources,” Allofs told German paper Bild. “But we also have to think about our sporting goals. We have the Champions League preliminaries coming up and we need a good team to be successful in Europe,”

“Mesut’s current contract runs until 2011 and we’re keen to extend his stay at the club. However, we’re not planning to cash in on him if he refuses to ink a new deal. We could decide to keep him until his contract expires.

“We’d rather not see him leave on a free transfer next year, but it’s definitely an option. Mesut is going nowhere for now.”

That is not stopping the giants of European football from making the attempt to snatch the 21-year-old. Ozil is being saught by Inter (more…)

TUESDAY’S SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEW, NOTES AND RUMORS

June 29, 2010

Something to Cheer About at Eastlands

TUESDAY’S SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEW, NOTES AND RUMORS

MANCHESTER CITY SPENDING SPREE LOOMING

It is getting increasingly difficult for Manchester City fans to get a handle on all the signings that MAY take place at Eastlands, as there are so many and some contradict each other.

The most recent is the long rumored signing of Yaya Toure as part of a $100 million spending spree that also includes David Silva and Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko.

Toure’s move to City, which will put him on the same club as his brother Kolo, was all but confirmed by the Barcelona website.

“In the case of Toure,” the statement read “[Barcelona director-general Joan] Oliver has recognized an understanding between the club interested in the midfielder, Manchester City, and Barca, but the transfer cannot be made official yet.”

Silva is reported to be joining Toure in the midfield on the blue side of Manchester this season. The Spanish international, currently (more…)

JUNE 26-SHORT CORNERS:SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 26, 2010

Photo by Martin Rose/Bongarts/Getty Images

JUNE 26 – SHORT CORNERS-INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

BALLACK RETURNS TO LEVERKUSEN

Michael Ballack has returned to his former club, Bayer Leverkusen, on a two-year contract.

The German International is returning to his old Bundesliga side, with whom he reached the Champions League final in 2002.

“With my transfer to Bayer Leverkusen a circle is complete. I had a beautiful and successful time here, on which I like to look back on a lot,” Ballack told the club’s website. “That was a factor in my decision.”

“But above all the good sporting potential of this young and attractive team were persuasive.

“I am especially looking forward to the great fans, who naturally have been key in my decision to return to Bayer.”

Rudi Völller, Bayer sporting director, is excited to see what a player of Ballack’s experience can bring to such a young side.

“With Michael Ballack our team is getting an enormous boost in quality,” he said. “Especially our many young players will benefit from his abilities and his experience.

“We did everything to convince Michael. That his preference was for Bayer despite our limited financial possibilities in comparison to the competition, shows his emotional attachment to the club.”

ALLEGRI TAKES HELM AT MILAN

AC Milan confirmed Massimiliano Allegri as their new manager replacing Leonardo who quit after just one season in charge at the San Siro.

Allegri, who has signed a two-year contract with Milan, comes from a Cagliari club he had great success with, but was released after a disagreement with the club in April.

(more…)

JUNE 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 15, 2010

JUNE 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

RAFA BACKS DALGLISH FOR LIVERPOOL

Rafa Benitez may be gone from Liverpool, but he has an opinion on who his replacement should be.

The newly installed Inter Milan boss thinks former Liverpool star Kenny Dalglish should succeed him at Anfield when he spoke to the Italian media in his first press conference at Inter.

“I think they should look at Kenny Dalglish,” Benitez said. “He is the best man for the job. The owners should listen to the fans because they are unhappy.

“No one knows the club better than Dalglish, and he wants the job and in my opinion he should get it.”

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is the bookmaker favorite to get the Liverpool job, though former England manager and current Ivory Coast manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has also throw his hat in the ring.

ALCARAZ IMPRESSES NEW BOSS

Antolin Alcaraz had a big day on Monday, it’s no surprise he said that the day was “the most beautiful day of my life.”

He signed for his new club Wigan Athletic of the Premier League and scored a World Cup goal in front of his new club manager.

(more…)

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)

CLASSIC WORLD CUP ADVERTS – PART ONE-Nike: Brazil/Airport ’98

June 8, 2010

CLASSIC WORLD CUP ADVERTS – NIKE: BRAZIL / AIRPORT ’98

CLASSIC WORLD CUP ADVERTS – NIKE: BRAZIL v PORTUGAL


SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 7 – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

June 7, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 7 – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

INJURIES PLAGUE WORLD CUP

It was a black weekend in many World Cup camps as Rio Ferdinand, Didier Drogba, Arjen Robben and Andrea Pirlo were all injured a week before the start of the World Cup.

More than just ‘big names’ some of the players that went down over the weekend were key to their teams success and will not be easily replaced

Ferdinand who was to be captain for England and a staple on the backline, suffered a knee ligament injury in training and will join David Beckham in the VIP box to watch the opening match with the United States June 12. Ferdinand has already been rep[laced in the squad by Michael Dawson.

Arguably the best striker in the world, Ivory Coast’s Drogba dislocated his elbow in a friendly against Japan on Friday. Coming off his best season ever, the Chelsea striker was the key element and talisman for the Elephants as they prepared for a tough Group G battle against Brazil, (more…)

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 3, 2010

Rafa Benitez practices his Italian

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

LIVERPOOL SACK RAFA BENITEZ

Liverpool have bought out the remainder of their contract with manager Rafael Benitez, essentially sacking the man who had managed the club since 2004, according to multiple sources.

Benitez’s stock had plummeted dramatically in recent years and rumors circulated wildly on Merseyside that Rafa was on his way out, but when he recently turned down the Juventus opening, it seemed like he would be back managing the team he made Champions League Winners for another season.

The original 5-year contract, signed just 12 months ago, stipulated that Benitez would be due $23.5 million if his contract was terminated, but the Anfield club worked with their manager of the past six years for a mutually agreeable compensation. A move which might imply that Benitez already has a job lined up.

The most likely scenario involves the position at Inter Milan, which was recently vacated by Jose Mourinho when he left the San (more…)

SHORT CORNERS: Soccer News Notes and rumors

May 25, 2010

Arrivederci...

SHORT CORNERS: Soccer News Notes and Rumors

JOSE MOURINHO TO REAL MADRID?

Jose Mourinho said that Saturdays champions League Final victory would be his last at Inter Milan, but Inter Boss Massimo Moratti tried to persuade the self styled ‘Special One’ to stay for a third season at Inter.

Those persuasions fell on deaf ears apparently.

The Portuguese superstar coach has agreed in principal with Real Madrid to coach the team to the tune of  $12 million per year for four years. This would make him the highest-grossing coach/manager in all of sports.

Special Indeed.

SUMMER FRIENDLY SEASON

Friendly Fever has had its first big weekend in North America, with 9 friendlies featuring or being hosted by club teams across the continent.

(more…)