Posts Tagged ‘PEP GUARDIOLA’

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 14, 2010

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

RED BULLS FINALLY LAND THIERRY HENRY

The New York Red Bulls have made the worst kept secret in soccer a reality today by announcing the signing of France international Thierry Henry as a designated player.

Without question, Henry becomes the most decorated player to ever take the field in the 14 year history of Major League Soccer. Capped 123 times for France, Henry has a resume that includes World Cup, European Championship and Champions League titles, in addition to a number of domestic championships and scoring titles.

The highest profile signing for the league since David Beckham’s arrival, the former Arsenal striker will hope to revitalize a Red Bull attack that includes co-designated player Colombian Juan Pablo Angel.

The 32-year-old Henry will likely play his first match July 22nd against Tottenham Hotspur in the New York Football Challenge.

The announcement was made Thursday as the day marks the opening of the Major League Soccer transfer window, and Henry is expected to be the first of many designated players brought into the league under the new policies that allow for as many as three designated players per team.

Other signings ready to sign officially on Thursday include Spanish forward Mista who has signed with Toronto FC, Swiss international Blaise Nkufo who has signed to Seattle Sounders from Dutch Champions FC Twente, Branko Boskovich will join DC United and Venezuela’s all-time leading scorer Giancarlo Maldonado has signed with Chivas USA on a loan from Mexican side Atlante..

REDKNAPP EXTENDS SPURS STAY

Tottenham Hotspur have locked up manager Harry Redknapp through 2013.

The 63-year-old manager guided the White Hart Lane club to it’s first Champions League berth last season, and has been rewarded with a three year extension.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reacted to big money offers from .

(more…)

JULY 12 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 12, 2010

JULY 12 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

FABREGAS HAPPY TO STAY AT ARSENAL

Cesc Fabregas has been hinting at a move to Barcelona all summer , but he seems to have changed his tune regarding his current club Arsenal.

The Spanish international has called his North London side a “world-class club” and suggested he is ready to stay put for the coming season.

“All I can say is that this World Cup victory is for all the Arsenal players and fans. They are a world-class club.” the 23-year-old told reporters after Spains World Cup Triumph. “I had a text message of congratulations from Arsene Wenger. He said I deserve it. I just think this is for everyone at Arsenal who helped me get to where I am now. I am an Arsenal player and proud to be.”

Fabregas had previously made no secret about his desire to move to Barcelona for the coming campaign, the club he loved as a kid and managed by his boyhood hero Pepp Guardiola.

STUTTGART DENY MADRID BID FOR KHEDIRA

Rumors of German international Sami Khedira moving to Real madrid from Bundesliga side Stuttgart have yet to become reality, according to club director Jochen Schneider.

“We have no offer. That is based only on speculation in Spanish sport newspapers,” Schneider told Bild. “And after his holiday we will sit down together and see whether we can extend his contract beyond 2011.”

(more…)

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 3, 2010

Rafa Benitez practices his Italian

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

LIVERPOOL SACK RAFA BENITEZ

Liverpool have bought out the remainder of their contract with manager Rafael Benitez, essentially sacking the man who had managed the club since 2004, according to multiple sources.

Benitez’s stock had plummeted dramatically in recent years and rumors circulated wildly on Merseyside that Rafa was on his way out, but when he recently turned down the Juventus opening, it seemed like he would be back managing the team he made Champions League Winners for another season.

The original 5-year contract, signed just 12 months ago, stipulated that Benitez would be due $23.5 million if his contract was terminated, but the Anfield club worked with their manager of the past six years for a mutually agreeable compensation. A move which might imply that Benitez already has a job lined up.

The most likely scenario involves the position at Inter Milan, which was recently vacated by Jose Mourinho when he left the San (more…)

SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS AND NOTES

May 27, 2010

SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS AND NOTES

US 23-man roster, Pellegrini Sacked, TFC Win Voyageurs Cup, AC-DC Battle at RFK, Red Bulls Run in USOC, Holden in Bolton Extension, Fabregas leaves it up to Wenger and more…

UNITED STATES NAMES 23-MAN ROSTER FOR 2010 WORLD CUP

Bob Bradley named his 23-man roster for the US National Team Wednesday, and there were surprises for many fans.

(more…)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: DID INTER MILAN DO ENOUGH AT HOME?

April 22, 2010

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMIFINALS

The First Legs of the Champions League semifinals are in the book, and though we some spectacular individual skill and brilliant tactical football, these two ties are far from over.  In reality, all four teams will have a reason to think the tie is theirs to win come next week.

DID INTER MILAN DO ENOUGH AT HOME?

Tuesday saw Inter Milan do what no one seems to have been able to do lately and that is to stop the outright onslaught that is FC Barcelona.  For all the self-love that exudes from Jose Mourinho and all the press he gets (good and bad) we sometimes forget that he is a brilliant tactician and manager. His strategy Tuesday at the San Siro, frustrated and slowed the impossibly quick defending champions to a normal pace.  He forced them to play football, which is something few understand as well as he does.  Pep Guardiola likes to let his team run and once they find their stride, they will run you into the ground and have you playing from behind.

Arsene Wenger saw this in the quarterfinals when in the first 20 minutes of the first leg. His Arsenal side could have been well and truly out of the tie. Fortune and the fact that Arsenal is a fast and free team also, helped save them and challenge Barcelona at their own game.  It didn’t work at the end of the day, as no team in the world right now is as good as Barcelona at that style.

It looked as if we were in for more of the same on Tuesday when Pedro scored for Barca inside of the 20 minute mark. Pedro has scored a goal in six (yes, that’s right… SIX) different competitions this season for Barcelona, and the goal Tuesday was his 20th of this, his first season.

Wesley Sniedjer equalized for Inter 10 minutes later and suddenly Barcelona slowed down a bit to settle into a football match.  That was a mistake

Inter continued to try and slow down Barcelona.  Ball possession, ball control and some fortune from the referees helped The Special One’s side regain a firm footing in the match, and eventually when the teams were both playing the same game, Inter took over.

Maicon’s Second Half goal was set up by the hard working Diego Milito and then Milito himself scored. the Argentine being the beneficiary of a blown offsides call.

Too late, Barcelona started attempting to ratchet up the pressure to counter the 3-1 scoreline, but Inter held fast against seemingly overwhelming Barca pressure. The score line became a result and Inter had claimed a famous victory, but was it enough to secure the tie

Barca are surely capable of outscoring anyone at the Camp Nou, so will Pep Guardiola  unleash the hounds?  Send everyone forward and try to get the goals back in front of their rabid fans? Perhaps Barca will sacrifice some of their offensive prowess in lieu of keeping Inter off the score sheet and thereby keeping the vital away goal out of Jose Mourinho’s reach.

Regardless, everything is left to play for next Wednesday in Barcelona.