Posts Tagged ‘MICHAEL ESSIEN’

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

July 15, 2010

LUKAS PODOLSKI HAS PROVEN HE HAS THE STONES

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA’S AFRICAN PAIR READY FOR PREMIER LEAGUE RETURN

Chelsea’s African duo Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel are set to return to Stamford Bridge after long injuries that kept both out of the World Cup.

Nigeria’s Mikel and Ghana’s Essien both had time during the World Cup to return to fitness and now look set to join the club for Chelsea’s opening Premier League fixture August 14.

“There should be no problem whatsoever,” Chelsea assistant Ray Wilkins told soccernet. “Mikel is slightly in advance of Michael Essien but they are both working very well indeed.

“They have been working double sessions for the last week and we will get them really firing before the season starts.”

AC MILAN IN FOR PODOLSKI, BUT ONLY IF…

AC Milan will splash to cash to but German striker Lukas Podolski, but only if they can first find a buyer for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, preferably to a Premier League club.

The 1 FC Koln striker has come back into vogue after a successful run in the World Cup, and Milan have sized up the 25-year-old who is a more versatile player than Huntelaar, being able to play as a more conventional forward. Nothing however will move the Rossoneri to approach unless they have cah in hand for Huntelaar.

“Podolski will arrive only if one condition is met and that is the transfer of Huntelaar to the (English) Premier League, which would then open a few paths from a financial standpoint.” Milan Vice-president Adriano Galliani told Sky Sport 24.

BAYERN LOOKING FOR VAN DER WIEL

Bayern Munich have approached Dutch side Ajax regarding Gregory van der Wiel.

(more…)

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)

JUNE 2 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

June 2, 2010

JUNE 2 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

ROSSI LEFT OFF ITALY WORLD CUP SQUAD

New Jersey born Giuseppe Rossi was left off the Italian National Team’s 23-man World Cup roster. The 23-year-old Villareal striker was omitted from Marcelo Lippi’s squad in an announcement made Tuesday.

Scoring 33 goals in 91 appearances for his club side always insured Rossi a call-up to the national team where he has scored 3 times in 14 appearances for the Azzurri, since his debut in 2008.

Though a product of the United States, Rossi represented Italy at every youth level from U-16 through U-21 and was viewed as having a good shot at making the 23-man team.

(more…)

SHORT CORNERS – International News, Notes and Rumors 5-28-2010

May 28, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – International News, Notes and Rumors 5-28-2010

US NATIONAL TEAM STOPS IN AT THE WHITE HOUSE

Bob Bradley and his 23-man US National Team stopped by the White House for a World Cup send off Thursday. The team got to meet the President and Vice President as well as Former President Bill Clinton.

AVRAM GRANT TO MANAGE WEST HAM UNITED

Many will feel that Avram Grant is a glutton for punishment. After do his best in the worst possible situation at Portsmouth, Grant will take the reigns at struggling West Ham United, replacing Gianfranco Zola in the position. Grant resigned from his post at Portsmouth after the team’s unlikely appearance in the FA Cup Final.

ESSIEN RULED OUT OF WORLD CUP

A huge blow was dealt to Ghana’s World Cup ambitions as Michael Essien was ruled out of the World Cup due to a knee injury suffered during January’s African Nations Cup. Ghana manager Milovan Rajevac had been hopeful that Essien would be ruled fit in time but the FA released a statement stating that the Chelsea star would not be fully fit until late July.

(more…)