Posts Tagged ‘MICHAEL BALACK’

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 10 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 10, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 10 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

GLAZER DEBT CRISIS DEEPENS

The Glazer family, owners of Manchester United have fallen in to debt to the tune of $1.6 Billion, according to the BBC. This figure is $570 million more than was previously been reported.

According to the BBC report, the Glazers, who took over United in a $1.4 Billion leveraged buyout, have mortgaged their shopping mall empire in the United States to come up with the $570 million. This is in addition to the $1 Billion in debt tied to United and the $95 million the family owe in debts tied to the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Glazers have repeatedly said the will not sell the club which has a value of $1.8 Billion according to Forbes magazine, making United the most valuable football club in the world.

TICKET SALES TARGET 98 PERCENT FOR WORLD CUP

Organizers of the 2010 World Cup have released figures that indicate that ticket sales have passed 97% of the (more…)

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)