Posts Tagged ‘LA LIGA’

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 14, 2010

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

RED BULLS FINALLY LAND THIERRY HENRY

The New York Red Bulls have made the worst kept secret in soccer a reality today by announcing the signing of France international Thierry Henry as a designated player.

Without question, Henry becomes the most decorated player to ever take the field in the 14 year history of Major League Soccer. Capped 123 times for France, Henry has a resume that includes World Cup, European Championship and Champions League titles, in addition to a number of domestic championships and scoring titles.

The highest profile signing for the league since David Beckham’s arrival, the former Arsenal striker will hope to revitalize a Red Bull attack that includes co-designated player Colombian Juan Pablo Angel.

The 32-year-old Henry will likely play his first match July 22nd against Tottenham Hotspur in the New York Football Challenge.

The announcement was made Thursday as the day marks the opening of the Major League Soccer transfer window, and Henry is expected to be the first of many designated players brought into the league under the new policies that allow for as many as three designated players per team.

Other signings ready to sign officially on Thursday include Spanish forward Mista who has signed with Toronto FC, Swiss international Blaise Nkufo who has signed to Seattle Sounders from Dutch Champions FC Twente, Branko Boskovich will join DC United and Venezuela’s all-time leading scorer Giancarlo Maldonado has signed with Chivas USA on a loan from Mexican side Atlante..

REDKNAPP EXTENDS SPURS STAY

Tottenham Hotspur have locked up manager Harry Redknapp through 2013.

The 63-year-old manager guided the White Hart Lane club to it’s first Champions League berth last season, and has been rewarded with a three year extension.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reacted to big money offers from .

(more…)

JULY 12 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 12, 2010

JULY 12 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

FABREGAS HAPPY TO STAY AT ARSENAL

Cesc Fabregas has been hinting at a move to Barcelona all summer , but he seems to have changed his tune regarding his current club Arsenal.

The Spanish international has called his North London side a “world-class club” and suggested he is ready to stay put for the coming season.

“All I can say is that this World Cup victory is for all the Arsenal players and fans. They are a world-class club.” the 23-year-old told reporters after Spains World Cup Triumph. “I had a text message of congratulations from Arsene Wenger. He said I deserve it. I just think this is for everyone at Arsenal who helped me get to where I am now. I am an Arsenal player and proud to be.”

Fabregas had previously made no secret about his desire to move to Barcelona for the coming campaign, the club he loved as a kid and managed by his boyhood hero Pepp Guardiola.

STUTTGART DENY MADRID BID FOR KHEDIRA

Rumors of German international Sami Khedira moving to Real madrid from Bundesliga side Stuttgart have yet to become reality, according to club director Jochen Schneider.

“We have no offer. That is based only on speculation in Spanish sport newspapers,” Schneider told Bild. “And after his holiday we will sit down together and see whether we can extend his contract beyond 2011.”

(more…)

JUNE 21 – SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 21, 2010

JUNE 21 – SHORT CORNERS – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

CHERUNDOLO AGREES TO HANNOVER EXTESION

US International Steve Cherundolo, a free agent who has been linked with teams from Serie A to Major League Soccer after the World Cup concludes, has agreed to a contract extension at Bundesliga side Hannover 96.

Hannover were eager to sign the right back to a two-year extension which will keep Cherundolo at the club through 2012.

The clubs official website broke the news that Cherundolo verbally agreed to the two-year extension with a one-year option that will keep him at the club he has played at for 11 years, his entire professional career.

ARSENAL SHOPPING FOR DEFENDERS

Arsenal is still pursuing Lorient centre back Laurent Koscielny despite having a $12 million bid turned down by the Ligue 1 side.

(more…)

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 14 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 14, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 14 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

AL FAYED CONFIDENT HODGSON WILL STAY AT FULHAM

Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed is sure Roy Hodgson will decide to remain at Craven Cottage if Liverpool is indeed targeting the 62-year-old manager as Rafa Benitez’s successor at Anfield.

Hodgson is the odds on favorite to replace Benitez having enjoyed a tremendous season by steering Fulham to the Europa League final, last month.

Hodgson has enjoyed a successful run at Fulham since taking the reigns at Craven Cottage in January 2007, and has the unwavering support of his chairman.

(more…)

SHORT CORNERS – SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

May 11, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

BOB BRADLEY TO NAME PRELIMINARY 30-MAN ROSTER FOR 2010 WORLD CUP TODAY

US Soccer and Head coach Bob Bradley will name his preliminary 30-man roster for the United States Camp leading up to World Cup 2010 in South Africa next month. only 23 of the 30 will make the trip, but the 23 must be from the 30 player pool.

The selection of the 30-man pool will air today at 2pm ET / 11am PT on ESPN2.

Rumors abound that both Brian Ching and Edson Buddle will be among those called in but the wires have been mum regarding Charlie Davies who is on the mend after a car crash in October and Herculez Gomez who has had a rebirth in the Mexican League.

Here is how the Experts see it unfolding

COUNTDOWN TO SOUTH AFRICA: PICKING THE 23-MAN US WORLD CUP ROSTER (SI.COM STAFF)

SBI’S 23 FOR 2010 – MAY EDITION (IVES GALRECEP)

US SOCCER TO FORMALLY SUBMIT WORLD CUP BID FOR 2018-2022

The United States will officially become a bidder for either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup’s on Friday when a delegation from US Soccer will formally hand over it’s Bid Book to FIFA at a ceremony in Zurich on Friday. No nation can match the United States on Stadium capacity and readiness.  The 18 host city finalists feature 21 venues that are all in compliance with FIFA standards and all have average capacities of more than 76,000. 12 of the stadiums feature capacities between 75,000 and 94,000. With the opening of new Meadowlands Stadium last Friday, all 21 of the stadiums included in the United States bid  are already functioning with 18 having been built in the last 20 years.

(more…)

SOCCER ON THE BOX – YOUR TV WEEKEND

May 7, 2010

SOCCER ON THE BOX – YOUR TV WEEKEND

The Premiership comes to a close on Sunday, and barring some kind of disaster for Chelsea, the title will go to the Blues. Tottenham has locked up 4th place and the final Champions League spot and can even seize 3rd place from Arsenal with a win on Sunday and a Gunner loss at Europa Cup Finalists Fulham at the Emirates. The rest of the drama has been sorted, even the relegation battles.

More exciting is the Championship Promotion Playoffs, the 1st Legs of which take place this weekend.  Frustratingly the Sunday match between Leicester City and Cardiff City doesn’t seem to be available to watch anywhere in the States (If I find out any information regarding this I will post it as soon as possible). The Saturday match featuring Blackpool hosting Nottingham Forest will be shown on Fox Soccer Plus, and if you can watch it, I wholeheartedly recommend doing just that. I strongly believe that the promotion playoffs are the last remnants of truly English Football, something that gets lost in the Premier League.  The playoffs are always entertaining for the neutral and nerve-racking for the fan of any club involved. The prize? Playing in the most entertaining, powerful, lucrative and renowned leagues on the planet, in any sport.

There is a shinny trophy and a truck-load of cash too.

(more…)