Posts Tagged ‘Klaas-Jan Huntelaar’

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

July 15, 2010

LUKAS PODOLSKI HAS PROVEN HE HAS THE STONES

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA’S AFRICAN PAIR READY FOR PREMIER LEAGUE RETURN

Chelsea’s African duo Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel are set to return to Stamford Bridge after long injuries that kept both out of the World Cup.

Nigeria’s Mikel and Ghana’s Essien both had time during the World Cup to return to fitness and now look set to join the club for Chelsea’s opening Premier League fixture August 14.

“There should be no problem whatsoever,” Chelsea assistant Ray Wilkins told soccernet. “Mikel is slightly in advance of Michael Essien but they are both working very well indeed.

“They have been working double sessions for the last week and we will get them really firing before the season starts.”

AC MILAN IN FOR PODOLSKI, BUT ONLY IF…

AC Milan will splash to cash to but German striker Lukas Podolski, but only if they can first find a buyer for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, preferably to a Premier League club.

The 1 FC Koln striker has come back into vogue after a successful run in the World Cup, and Milan have sized up the 25-year-old who is a more versatile player than Huntelaar, being able to play as a more conventional forward. Nothing however will move the Rossoneri to approach unless they have cah in hand for Huntelaar.

“Podolski will arrive only if one condition is met and that is the transfer of Huntelaar to the (English) Premier League, which would then open a few paths from a financial standpoint.” Milan Vice-president Adriano Galliani told Sky Sport 24.

BAYERN LOOKING FOR VAN DER WIEL

Bayern Munich have approached Dutch side Ajax regarding Gregory van der Wiel.

(more…)

JUNE 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 15, 2010

JUNE 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

RAFA BACKS DALGLISH FOR LIVERPOOL

Rafa Benitez may be gone from Liverpool, but he has an opinion on who his replacement should be.

The newly installed Inter Milan boss thinks former Liverpool star Kenny Dalglish should succeed him at Anfield when he spoke to the Italian media in his first press conference at Inter.

“I think they should look at Kenny Dalglish,” Benitez said. “He is the best man for the job. The owners should listen to the fans because they are unhappy.

“No one knows the club better than Dalglish, and he wants the job and in my opinion he should get it.”

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is the bookmaker favorite to get the Liverpool job, though former England manager and current Ivory Coast manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has also throw his hat in the ring.

ALCARAZ IMPRESSES NEW BOSS

Antolin Alcaraz had a big day on Monday, it’s no surprise he said that the day was “the most beautiful day of my life.”

He signed for his new club Wigan Athletic of the Premier League and scored a World Cup goal in front of his new club manager.

(more…)

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)