Posts Tagged ‘IVORY COAST’

WORLD CUP INJURY UPDATE – JUNE 15

June 15, 2010

WORLD CUP INJURY UPDATE – JUNE 15

DROGBA AWAITS FIFA DECISION

Didier Drogba, and the rest of the world, will be awaiting a ruling by FIFA Tuesday morning to decide if the Ivory Coast striker will be allowed to sport a protective cast in the Elephants Group G opener.

“There has been a Fifa meeting – we will know later.” Ivory Coast manager Sven-Goran Eriksson said on Monday.

This is yet another complication in the roller-coaster story of Drogba’s World Cup. Suffering a broken arm in a friendly tune-up just days prior to the World Cup, initial reports had the Chelsea striker out of the World Cup. There followed talk of an emergency surgery procedure that could see Drogba (more…)

2010 WORLD CUP – INJURY UPDATE JUNE 14

June 14, 2010


2010 WORLD CUP – INJURY UPDATE JUNE 14

LEDLEY KING RULED OUT OF WORLD CUP

Ledley King’s World Cup appears to be over after the England Center back injured his groin during Saturday’s draw with the United States.

The England medical team is continuing to monitor the Tottenham defender and England manager Fabio Capello’s initial comments that King’s injury would only prevent him from missing Friday’s Group C encounter with Algeria, now seem optimistic.

Capello, already dealing with the loss of Rio Ferdinand to an injury sustained in training, will be concerned about his backline’s attrition, with only Jamie Carragher, Michael Dawson and Matthew Upson remaining in his squad to partner John Terry in the heart of his defense.

(more…)

JUNE 11 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 11, 2010

JUNE 11 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

‘NO NERVES’ FOR SOUTH AFRICA

South Africa captain Aaron Mokoena said his team would have no nerves when they walk out in front of an expectant 85,000-strong home crowd at the Soccer City stadium for their World Cup opener against Mexico on Friday, in one of the biggest matches in the nations history.

“We are looking forward to the game,” said Mokoena. “It’s going to be important that we go out relaxed, but of course not too relaxed, and enjoy it.”

Mokoena, who recently became the first South African to earn 100 caps, thinks the team will live in the moment and not feel the pressure of expectation.

“It’s about us, it’s about what we want and about making our country proud. The moment of truth has arrived.”

DROGBA RETURNS TO PRACTICE

Didier Drogba has returned to training just days after surgery on a broken arm and (more…)

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)

JUNE 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 8, 2010

JUNE 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

INJURED STARS DOWN, BUT NOT OUT
There may be good news for some of the high profile players at the 2010 World Cup who were injured over the weekend and some may even be able to play in the tournament.

Netherlands forward Arjen Robben is planning to travel to South Africa in hopes of joining his Dutch teammates. The Bayern Munich star has a small tear in his left hamstring but is hoping intense physiotherapy will help him take part in South Africa.

Speaking after his first session, Robben told reporters “It is impossible to say whether that (a return) will only be about four days or a week away. It was tedious exercises. But we will do everything to
get fit. I’m very hopeful.”

Meanwhile, Didier Drogba has undergone successful surgery on his broken arm and was due to link up with his Ivory Coast teammates yesterday.
(more…)

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 7 – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

June 7, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 7 – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

INJURIES PLAGUE WORLD CUP

It was a black weekend in many World Cup camps as Rio Ferdinand, Didier Drogba, Arjen Robben and Andrea Pirlo were all injured a week before the start of the World Cup.

More than just ‘big names’ some of the players that went down over the weekend were key to their teams success and will not be easily replaced

Ferdinand who was to be captain for England and a staple on the backline, suffered a knee ligament injury in training and will join David Beckham in the VIP box to watch the opening match with the United States June 12. Ferdinand has already been rep[laced in the squad by Michael Dawson.

Arguably the best striker in the world, Ivory Coast’s Drogba dislocated his elbow in a friendly against Japan on Friday. Coming off his best season ever, the Chelsea striker was the key element and talisman for the Elephants as they prepared for a tough Group G battle against Brazil, (more…)

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 3, 2010

Rafa Benitez practices his Italian

JULY 3 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

LIVERPOOL SACK RAFA BENITEZ

Liverpool have bought out the remainder of their contract with manager Rafael Benitez, essentially sacking the man who had managed the club since 2004, according to multiple sources.

Benitez’s stock had plummeted dramatically in recent years and rumors circulated wildly on Merseyside that Rafa was on his way out, but when he recently turned down the Juventus opening, it seemed like he would be back managing the team he made Champions League Winners for another season.

The original 5-year contract, signed just 12 months ago, stipulated that Benitez would be due $23.5 million if his contract was terminated, but the Anfield club worked with their manager of the past six years for a mutually agreeable compensation. A move which might imply that Benitez already has a job lined up.

The most likely scenario involves the position at Inter Milan, which was recently vacated by Jose Mourinho when he left the San (more…)