Posts Tagged ‘INJURIES’

JULY 23 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 23, 2010

JULY 23 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

O’NIELL: MILNER MAY MOVE IF MAN CITY HAVE MONEY

James Milner’s potential transfer to Manchester City had a moment of clarity today.

After days of rumored fallout’s and accusations, Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill made it plain that the England International may leave the club, as long as Manchester City pay the asking price, rumored to be in the $46 million range.

O’Niell won’t stand in the way of the 24-year-old midfielder desire to join City, but has made it clear that Milner has asked to leave the club.

“James and his agent came to see us before the World Cup and intimated that they would like to go.” O’Neill told Villa’s official website.  “Manchester City made an offer, which we told them (Milner and his Agent).

“There is a difference of valuation at this moment between the buying club and the selling club. That may well be resolved and if that is the case then absolutely fine.

“I think James’ agent has told our chief executive that he wouldn’t be signing a new contract. Obviously that puts a different slant on things, like everything else. If a fee is agreed, at the end of the day, the player can leave.”

City are preparing another offer of $38 million in hopes of resolving the matter, but whay Villa will do with the bid is unknown.

MARTIN JOL TO STAY AT AJAX-FULHAM LEFT SCRAMBLING

Martin Jol was apparently unaware that there was no exit clause in his contract at Ajax, according to the Fulham website.

(more…)

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

July 15, 2010

LUKAS PODOLSKI HAS PROVEN HE HAS THE STONES

JULY 15 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA’S AFRICAN PAIR READY FOR PREMIER LEAGUE RETURN

Chelsea’s African duo Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel are set to return to Stamford Bridge after long injuries that kept both out of the World Cup.

Nigeria’s Mikel and Ghana’s Essien both had time during the World Cup to return to fitness and now look set to join the club for Chelsea’s opening Premier League fixture August 14.

“There should be no problem whatsoever,” Chelsea assistant Ray Wilkins told soccernet. “Mikel is slightly in advance of Michael Essien but they are both working very well indeed.

“They have been working double sessions for the last week and we will get them really firing before the season starts.”

AC MILAN IN FOR PODOLSKI, BUT ONLY IF…

AC Milan will splash to cash to but German striker Lukas Podolski, but only if they can first find a buyer for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, preferably to a Premier League club.

The 1 FC Koln striker has come back into vogue after a successful run in the World Cup, and Milan have sized up the 25-year-old who is a more versatile player than Huntelaar, being able to play as a more conventional forward. Nothing however will move the Rossoneri to approach unless they have cah in hand for Huntelaar.

“Podolski will arrive only if one condition is met and that is the transfer of Huntelaar to the (English) Premier League, which would then open a few paths from a financial standpoint.” Milan Vice-president Adriano Galliani told Sky Sport 24.

BAYERN LOOKING FOR VAN DER WIEL

Bayern Munich have approached Dutch side Ajax regarding Gregory van der Wiel.

(more…)

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 14, 2010

JULY 14 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

RED BULLS FINALLY LAND THIERRY HENRY

The New York Red Bulls have made the worst kept secret in soccer a reality today by announcing the signing of France international Thierry Henry as a designated player.

Without question, Henry becomes the most decorated player to ever take the field in the 14 year history of Major League Soccer. Capped 123 times for France, Henry has a resume that includes World Cup, European Championship and Champions League titles, in addition to a number of domestic championships and scoring titles.

The highest profile signing for the league since David Beckham’s arrival, the former Arsenal striker will hope to revitalize a Red Bull attack that includes co-designated player Colombian Juan Pablo Angel.

The 32-year-old Henry will likely play his first match July 22nd against Tottenham Hotspur in the New York Football Challenge.

The announcement was made Thursday as the day marks the opening of the Major League Soccer transfer window, and Henry is expected to be the first of many designated players brought into the league under the new policies that allow for as many as three designated players per team.

Other signings ready to sign officially on Thursday include Spanish forward Mista who has signed with Toronto FC, Swiss international Blaise Nkufo who has signed to Seattle Sounders from Dutch Champions FC Twente, Branko Boskovich will join DC United and Venezuela’s all-time leading scorer Giancarlo Maldonado has signed with Chivas USA on a loan from Mexican side Atlante..

REDKNAPP EXTENDS SPURS STAY

Tottenham Hotspur have locked up manager Harry Redknapp through 2013.

The 63-year-old manager guided the White Hart Lane club to it’s first Champions League berth last season, and has been rewarded with a three year extension.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reacted to big money offers from .

(more…)

OVER THERE… UPDATES ON NORTH AMERICAN PLAYERS IN EUROPE

July 8, 2010

OVER THERE… UPDATES ON NORTH AMERICAN PLAYERS IN EUROPE

BOB BRADLEY LINKED WITH VACANT FULHAM POST

US national Team Manager Bob Bradley is on a short list of candidates to take over the Fulham manager position vacated by recently named Liverpool manager, Roy Hodgson.

Bradley, who is in discussions with US Soccer regarding his future, is in contention with Swede Sven Goran Eriksson and Croatian Slaven Bilic.

Glenn Hoddle, Mark Hughes, Tony Mowbray, Alan Curbishley and Gianfranco Zola, according to reports out of England, have all been eliminated from contention.

For his part Bradley is focused on his post-World Cup discussions with US Soccer.

“I think we’re in the midst of all of that,” Bradley told the Washington Post about the discussions. “Whenever there has been a four-year effort on both sides there is a little time that’s needed to look at things, to talk to some different people, to assess options and I’ve had some different conversations, one with Sunil Gulati and one with [U.S. soccer secretary general] Dan Flynn, so I think we’re moving through that period and we’ll see where it gets everybody.”

GOOCH WON’T BE MOVED FROM MILAN

US International Oguchi Onyewu is staying at AC Milan, no matter what.

(more…)

WORLD CUP INJURY UPDATE – JUNE 15

June 15, 2010

WORLD CUP INJURY UPDATE – JUNE 15

DROGBA AWAITS FIFA DECISION

Didier Drogba, and the rest of the world, will be awaiting a ruling by FIFA Tuesday morning to decide if the Ivory Coast striker will be allowed to sport a protective cast in the Elephants Group G opener.

“There has been a Fifa meeting – we will know later.” Ivory Coast manager Sven-Goran Eriksson said on Monday.

This is yet another complication in the roller-coaster story of Drogba’s World Cup. Suffering a broken arm in a friendly tune-up just days prior to the World Cup, initial reports had the Chelsea striker out of the World Cup. There followed talk of an emergency surgery procedure that could see Drogba (more…)

2010 WORLD CUP – INJURY UPDATE JUNE 14

June 14, 2010


2010 WORLD CUP – INJURY UPDATE JUNE 14

LEDLEY KING RULED OUT OF WORLD CUP

Ledley King’s World Cup appears to be over after the England Center back injured his groin during Saturday’s draw with the United States.

The England medical team is continuing to monitor the Tottenham defender and England manager Fabio Capello’s initial comments that King’s injury would only prevent him from missing Friday’s Group C encounter with Algeria, now seem optimistic.

Capello, already dealing with the loss of Rio Ferdinand to an injury sustained in training, will be concerned about his backline’s attrition, with only Jamie Carragher, Michael Dawson and Matthew Upson remaining in his squad to partner John Terry in the heart of his defense.

(more…)

2010 WORLD CUP : INJURY UPDATE

June 10, 2010

2010 WORLD CUP : INJURY UPDATE

Spanish midfielder Andres Iniesta is a doubt for Spain’s opener next Wednesday against Switzerland after a scan on his right thigh

Honduras coach Reinaldo Rueda is holding out until the day before his team’s World Cup opener against Chile next Wednesday before deciding whether David Suazo and Wilson Palacios will play due to minor muscle injuries.

United States striker Jozy Altidore (ankle) will be fit to face England in Saturday’s Group C opener in Rustenburg

Australia midfielder Tim Cahill’s neck strain will not prevent him from starting on Sunday against Germany in Group D

Brazil Manager Dunga is confident goalkeeper Julio Cesar will have recovered from the lumbar strain during last Wednesday’s warm-up triumph over Zimbabwe, and be fit in time for the 5-time champions World Cup opener with North Korea

New Zealand captain Ryan Neilsen sat out the warm-up against Chile yesterday with an ear infection but was expected to be ready for their first Group F game against Slovakia on Tuesday

Swiss captain Alexander Frei sprained his ankle in the team’s final training session in Zurich yesterday and is status is still in doubt ahead of next weeks Group H opener against tournament favorites Spain.

JUNE 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 8, 2010

JUNE 8 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

INJURED STARS DOWN, BUT NOT OUT
There may be good news for some of the high profile players at the 2010 World Cup who were injured over the weekend and some may even be able to play in the tournament.

Netherlands forward Arjen Robben is planning to travel to South Africa in hopes of joining his Dutch teammates. The Bayern Munich star has a small tear in his left hamstring but is hoping intense physiotherapy will help him take part in South Africa.

Speaking after his first session, Robben told reporters “It is impossible to say whether that (a return) will only be about four days or a week away. It was tedious exercises. But we will do everything to
get fit. I’m very hopeful.”

Meanwhile, Didier Drogba has undergone successful surgery on his broken arm and was due to link up with his Ivory Coast teammates yesterday.
(more…)

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 7 – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

June 7, 2010

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 7 – INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

INJURIES PLAGUE WORLD CUP

It was a black weekend in many World Cup camps as Rio Ferdinand, Didier Drogba, Arjen Robben and Andrea Pirlo were all injured a week before the start of the World Cup.

More than just ‘big names’ some of the players that went down over the weekend were key to their teams success and will not be easily replaced

Ferdinand who was to be captain for England and a staple on the backline, suffered a knee ligament injury in training and will join David Beckham in the VIP box to watch the opening match with the United States June 12. Ferdinand has already been rep[laced in the squad by Michael Dawson.

Arguably the best striker in the world, Ivory Coast’s Drogba dislocated his elbow in a friendly against Japan on Friday. Coming off his best season ever, the Chelsea striker was the key element and talisman for the Elephants as they prepared for a tough Group G battle against Brazil, (more…)