Posts Tagged ‘FLAMENGO’

JULY 12 – DESIGNATED PLAYER WATCH

July 12, 2010

JULY 12 – DESIGNATED PLAYER WATCH

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER TRANSFER WINDOW OPENS ON THURSDAY

The MLS transfer window opens this Thursday July 15, and in addition to a certain high profile signing being announced in New York, Seattle’s Blaise Nkufo, DC United’s Branko Boskovic, Chivas USA’s Giancarlo Maldonado and Toronto FC’s Mista will also become official members of their respective teams.

Here is the lowdown on who is coming, who is rumored to follow and (tear) who is just not an option.

RED BULLS SET TO NAME THIERRY HENRY ON THURSDAY

The New York Red Bulls have lined up a press conference to announce their second designated player on Thursday.

Though no names have been mentioned the signing will come as a surprise to no one and is widely considered the worst kept secret in the game.

(more…)

JUNE 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 15, 2010

JUNE 16 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

RAFA BACKS DALGLISH FOR LIVERPOOL

Rafa Benitez may be gone from Liverpool, but he has an opinion on who his replacement should be.

The newly installed Inter Milan boss thinks former Liverpool star Kenny Dalglish should succeed him at Anfield when he spoke to the Italian media in his first press conference at Inter.

“I think they should look at Kenny Dalglish,” Benitez said. “He is the best man for the job. The owners should listen to the fans because they are unhappy.

“No one knows the club better than Dalglish, and he wants the job and in my opinion he should get it.”

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is the bookmaker favorite to get the Liverpool job, though former England manager and current Ivory Coast manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has also throw his hat in the ring.

ALCARAZ IMPRESSES NEW BOSS

Antolin Alcaraz had a big day on Monday, it’s no surprise he said that the day was “the most beautiful day of my life.”

He signed for his new club Wigan Athletic of the Premier League and scored a World Cup goal in front of his new club manager.

(more…)

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)