Posts Tagged ‘ADRIANO’

JULY 20 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

July 19, 2010

JULY 20 – SHORT CORNERS: INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

LIVERPOOL SIGN JOE COLE

Joe Cole has picked Liverpool over Tottenham and Arsenal.

The out-of-contract England international has settled his personal wage demands with the Anfield club and, barring a medical, will sign a four-year contract with the club in the next 48 hours.

Reds boss Roy Hodgson has been attempting to prevent Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard from bolting to other clubs and the Cole signing will certainly help convince the current the existing Liverpool players that the new boss has designs of returning to the Champions League.

Though out of contract, Cole’s arrival will cross over with Yosssi Benayoun who is heading to Stamford Bridge, though Liverpool stands to gain $7.5 million swap.

The extra cash will help as Hodgson is facing the exit’s of Fabio Aurelio and Emiliano Insua, the former Fulham manager will be looking for a left back as soon as possible.

WERDER BREMEN TRYING TO LOCK DOWN OZIL

Bundesliga side Werder Bremen are still trying to work a deal out with sensation Mesut Ozil, but the giants of European football are waiting in the wings to snap up the German international.

Bremen are hoping to lock the World Cup Golden Ball nominee in spite of the fact that could sell the player for a fee in the range of  $26 million to Europe’s elite clubs.

The club have been trying to secure a new deal for the 21-year-old

“We were trying to find a solution on a new contract with Mesut Ozil up until the start of the World Cup, but we couldn’t,” Bremen general manager Klaus Allofs told German paper Kreiszeitung. “In the meantime we made good progress and were confident that we could fill in the final blanks with the right figures. We had our ideas but we have not been able to bring this to an end. We are not angry, no way. We intend to keep on trying.”

(more…)

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

June 9, 2010

GETTY IMAGES

JUNE 9 – SHORT CORNERS:INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS, NOTES AND RUMORS

CHELSEA RE-SIGN ESSIEN, RELEASE BALLACK AND COLE

Michael Essien, recently ruled out of the World Cup for Ghana due to injury, has signed a new two-year extension that will keep him at Chelsea through 2015.

”I am delighted because the club has shown a very big confidence and interest in me,” said Essien.

”I am looking forward to coming back and enjoying my football and winning more trophies with the club. That is why I am here. I think it is one of the most important contracts in my career.”

In other Chelsea news, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack will leave Stamford Bridge when their contracts expire July 1, after the club balked at their wage demands.

33 year-old Ballack was working on a two-year extension, but Chelsea were only willing to offer the midfielder a one-year contract on reduced terms, which he rejected.

The German International is out of the World Cup with injury and is likely to return to Germany.

The 28 year-old Cole, who had indicated that he wouldn’t decide his future until after the World Cup, will definitely not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, a fan favorite at Stamford Bridge, had been working to secure a deal in excess of $140,000 a week, but Carlo Ancelotti could not convince the Chelsea board.

(more…)