SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 10 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

SHORT CORNERS – JUNE 10 : INTERNATIONAL SOCCER NEWS NOTES AND RUMORS

GLAZER DEBT CRISIS DEEPENS

The Glazer family, owners of Manchester United have fallen in to debt to the tune of $1.6 Billion, according to the BBC. This figure is $570 million more than was previously been reported.

According to the BBC report, the Glazers, who took over United in a $1.4 Billion leveraged buyout, have mortgaged their shopping mall empire in the United States to come up with the $570 million. This is in addition to the $1 Billion in debt tied to United and the $95 million the family owe in debts tied to the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Glazers have repeatedly said the will not sell the club which has a value of $1.8 Billion according to Forbes magazine, making United the most valuable football club in the world.

TICKET SALES TARGET 98 PERCENT FOR WORLD CUP

Organizers of the 2010 World Cup have released figures that indicate that ticket sales have passed 97% of the more than three million tickets available for the tournament. Leaving only 135,000 tickets unsold, 30,600 of which became available for public sale Wednesday. The remaining numbers were allocated to various national federations and travel companies.

SUAZO MIGHT BE AVAILABLE FOR CHILE OPENER

Chile striker Humberto Suazo may win his fitness battle in time for the South American’s World Cup opening match against Honduras Wednesday. The top scorer in South American qualifying, Suazo is recovering from a thigh injury and was expected to miss the Group Stages.

“If he keeps progressing as he is at the moment, he should be available next Wednesday,” Chile manager Marcelo Bielsa said.

XAVI AND PEDRO RE-SIGN WITH BARCA

Barcelona have wrapped up the services of two key components to the Spanish Champions midfield when they re-signed both Xavi and Pedro to contract extensions.

30-year-old Xavi has extended his contract to add to years to his existing deal, putting him under contract with the club he had played at since he way 11, essentially guaranteeing the  the Spanish International will retire having played only for the Catalan super club.

22-year-old Pedro, who impressed at Barcelona this past season scoring 23 in all appearances, extended his contract to stay with the club through 2015. His notoriety increased when he became the only player to have ever scored in six different competitions in the same season.

BALLACK SPEAKS OUT ABOUT CHELSEA RELEASE

German International Michael Ballack has blamed Roman Abromovich for his dismissal from Chelsea FC. Chelsea’s Italian manager Carlo Ancelotti had said that he wanted to keep Ballack and Joe Cole, But Abromovich is said to want a young senior squad.

“It’s unfortunate we couldn’t come together, but I have to put it behind me,” Ballack told The Times. “I’ve known for a while that the negotiations had stopped and it’s time to move on. I have to find a new club and carry on with my career.

“Chelsea was always my first choice as I had four great years at the club and enjoyed every minute, but it was not to be. It’s still my first choice, even now, but it was not up to me. The decision was down to Roman.”

In terms of the midfielders relationship with Ancelotti, Ballack had nothing but good things to say.

“We have a great relationship and I know he respected me as a player. I loved the club. They always made me feel welcome and there was a special atmosphere in the team. We won three FA Cups and the Premier League in four years, but winning the Double this season was unbelievable as it was a real piece of history.”

Out of the World Cup due to injury and now without a club, Ballack has refocused his efforts to get back to top-flight football.

“To end my career like this is not an option,” Ballack said. “I want to play for at least two more years at the highest level so I can play for Germany at the European Championship.

“I’ve played in three Euros and two World Cups so know how special they are and can’t end like this. I’m even more determined to carry on since I’ve been injured and the motivation is growing inside me every single day.”

MANCHESTER CITY RE-SIGN VIERA

Patrick Viera has signed an extension to keep the Frenchman at City of Manchester Stadium for another year.

A statement fro City’s official website stated “The club is delighted to confirm that Patrick Vieira will be staying with City after taking up the option of a one-year extension to his contract.”

The 33-year-old Viera, left of the France World Cup team, seems to be an exception at City this week who have released a number of older players.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: